Intro | Map 1 | Map 2 | Map 3 | Map 4 | Map 5 | Map 6 | Map 7
5a | 5b | 5c | 5d | 5e | 5f | 5g | 5h | 5i | 5j | 5k | 5l | 5m | 5n
- An opening in the ceiling. Climb up to the sixth deep.
- Jump the lava pits. Touching the lava means instant death.
- If you have Elven lore, you recognize the creature on the throne as a Balrog. If you move, each character takes 15 points of damage from the Balrog's fire before the fight even begins. Should you win, you get the Balrog's sword. Use the Golden Wheel or the Wizard staff to turn the Balrog.
- Using perception, you think that the chest may be trapped. Detect traps confirms that there is a trap. Using picklock triggers a gas trap. All characters take 2–8 points of damage. Use devices to open the chest. If you have Elven lore you recognize the brooch of Galadriel. Get the Lady token, Gold anvil, Gold chisel, and Gold hammer.
- If you have the Ice staff, a message states that with the staff you can walk on lava. However, after the message has been displayed, if you keep going it means instant death.
- In the seventh deep, anyone can use the wizard staff to turn the Balrog, but on the first level only Gandalf can. Strange.
- For all the lava pits, there is a script that should allow you to walk on lava if you have the Ice staff. (Without it, touching the lava would do 6–24 points of damage to the leader, 1–6 points of damage to the others, according to the script.) But it does not work as expected, and touching lava always means instant death. The reason may be that the terrain effects override the script. In fact, at #5 above, you can walk on the edge of the lava without the ice staff just as much as with it. It is just a visual glitch: the graphics do not match the terrain.